Thursday, August 27, 2009

On Liberty

      Daniel's been on liberty this week, meaning, he can make phone calls during his free time. I'm sure it means other things too, but I'm not sure what they are. My time with Daniel on the phone is limited and there seems to always be things we need to cover. What I did learn from Daniel this time - he talked the WHOLE time, which is very unusual - is that he gets up at 4 am, and dusts his room. Now, if we were still in Moscow, this would make complete sense, but I can't imagine needing to dust EVERY day in the States. But I guess that goes to show you how particular they are in the military. And we knew that. Then he gets his PT uniform on and the go running. Apparently, while they're all working out, their rooms get inspected. Daniel says he's having a hard time making his bed just right, so his room mate, who is an experienced soldier, and had spent some time in Iraq, helps him out. The PT workouts aren't tough, Daniel says. When they get back, they shower, have breakfast and get into class. There are many different types of classes he's taking: officer behavior, military law...and that's all i can remember right now. He has to take a test when it's all over. He says 80% of those who take it, fail it. But no one ever fails the re-take.

      Because Daniel can't use the internet, except to check his military email address he was given, he says he feels trapped. He can't communicate with friends and the "outside world." Once, he was singing song during a worship time, and the songs were common ones that were sung at Hinkson and got very homesick for Moscow and sad about not being there for the beginning of a new school year. He wanted to check up on friends and students of his in Moscow, but he can't! It's a very frustrating feeling for him. However, he says that this "trapped" feeling is teaching him new lessons on relying more fully on God to be his everything.

      Meanwhile, "back and the ranch", I'm doing some soul searching. While Daniel is being shaped in totally new ways at OCD, in what ways does God want me to change in preparation for being a military wife and mom? I've been spending a lot of time thinking on ways that I need to grow, weaknesses that I have that I need to make strengths, and reading and researching to be better prepared for woman's ministries. I hope to share my discoveries in the days to come.

      Until then, thanks for your continued prayers for our family as we continue to journey through this huge change in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment