Monday, October 5, 2009

My Life is a Suitcase

      Time has passed by so quickly since Daniel graduated from ODS! That same Friday he graduated, we were on a plane to South Carolina where my dear sister, Carol, picked us up at 11:30 pm. We dropped her off at her place and then headed to Fort Jackson. We got into bed at 2 am and Sky didn't sleep so well. It was a rough night. Daniel is staying in Army Lodging on base, which is basically a hotel room. It's nice, but small and Sky hates it! She needs more space for her imagination. She's constantly scanning around, taking everything in, looking at every moving or brightly colored object. The hotel room offers her nothing! In no time, she's fussy and I have to walk her in the halls or outside. I have her Exersaucer always set up in the hotel room, but she doesn't even last very long in that. I was even reduced, in desperation once, to turn on the cartoons while she played in her Exersaucer. Didn't work. I guess it's a small taste of how life will be in Japan! Only, hopefully, our living quarters will be bigger and satisfy her better! It's also difficult to be away from all the helpful hands! Her uncles, aunts and grandparents are always vying for her attention and waiting in line to hold her - when I'm in the mountains. I think being away from that in Columbia makes it more challenging for Skyler, not just me. So I found it's just easier to be out shopping while she's in-between naps. So, I've had LOTS of Starbucks (this certainly isn't a bad thing!)

      In addition to these challenges with Sky, there's the constant packing and unpacking. It seems that as soon as I get back to the mountains, unload the car, unpack everything, do the laundry and diapers, I'm packing everything back up to go BACK to Columbia. When I get to Columbia, there's not much space for Sky and I to really settle in, so things are just everywhere! In such a small space, with two adults and a baby, it's a zoo in there sometimes! Poor Sky doesn't travel well, much of the time, so all that time in the car takes it's toll. I bought her a CD of Bach musical specially recorded for babies, and that really seems to soothe her. She's been much quieter and sleeps longer in the car since I bought it! She loves it so much that I bought the Beethoven one, too! So far, Bach is the favorite.

      For Daniel, I know it does his heart good to be able to go to his room on his lunch break and have Sky and I there waiting for him. Also, when he gets out of class at 5 pm (generally) everyday, we're there waiting to go out for dinner with him! Daniel says his classes are "death by powerpoint" and thinks that in some respects, he's not learning as much as he thought he would. Some things are helpful and informative, but somethings just seem to be very tedious. There is some homework: he's had to write a prayer for a special event (it was a really well written prayer!) and a philosophy of ministry paper. He had a test, too, which he made a 95% on, which I think is pretty good considering that he was told about the exam the night before! THAT was a stressful night! There is still PT (physical training) but it's not physically challenging for him. He does more running in his own time. He's trimming up quite a bit! My good-lookin' husband is hotter than ever!

     Another benefit to being in Columbia is being closer to my two sisters there. While I haven't been able to see Nancy (she's always had prior engagments), I've been able to see Carol almost everyday that I'm there. We'll meet for coffee, or for lunch, and one day, she helped me shop for a dress by holding Sky while I tried on a million dresses and offered her fashion option. I couldn't have done it without her! It has been so good to rekindle that relationship and to be able to get to know her more.

    Daniel and I attended the Naval Ball this past Saturday night. I was quite nervous about it, not feeling comfortable in that setting, especially with a bunch of people I don't know. I knew the Ball was coming up, but I didn't have time to shop for a dress. So on Friday, I hit the stores and tried on too many dresses. I ended up finding the dress at a Ross (yay for Ross!) for $35. Dressing up is not a favorite thing to do unless I'm going to the Senior Banquet at Hinkson. The Lord was good and not only did I feel comfortable while I was there, but this sweet girl, whom I had met at ODS, was there as well and the Lord had placed us at the same table! Holly Miller's husband is in chaplain class with Daniel and is also a new military wife and mother! We had a great time talking about kids and the new culture we're a part of that we have no clue how to function in yet. It was an encouraging time for me. The Lord provides for my needs at every turn. Just a small way of calming my heart for the move to Japan and all the newness it will bring.

      I praise the Lord for the many ways I have seen him provide for me in the past few weeks. His goodness is never failing and a joy to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I'm so glad you met a fellow new mom new Navy wife! Keep acknowledging God's hand on your life- Have you thought of getting a science experiment (tri-fold) board and decorating it with colorful magazine pages and putting it up for Sky to look at when space is at a minimum? Pictures of Daniel, other babies, colorful animals etc, then fold it up and stick it in the trunk!

    ReplyDelete