Saturday, September 19, 2009

We're in the Army, er...NAVY, now!

      Sky was excellent on the plane! She attracted so much attention and everyone went nuts over her. She slept some on the plane and if she wasn't sleeping, she was playing. People were extremely helpful with all the stuff I had with me and the trip was a breeze. As Sky and I were taking the short trip onto the Newport Navel Base (during which Sky cried her eyes out - she was exhausted having been up since 3:45 am), I was so nervous and excited about seeing Daniel for the first time. As we drove up in front of his dorm room, I saw him standing on the curb, his legs apart and hands locked behind his back (some kind of offical stance, I think). It was so impressive - well, to me anyway!

It just felt so glamorous to be taken into the arms of a handsome military man in a sharp uniform and kissed like there was no tomorrow. Ok, that last part was in my imagination - he didn't get to kiss me right away because I had a rude taxi driver who wanted to leave and didn't try to hide it. Sky took to Daniel RIGHT away! It was like they hadn't been apart. I wish you could have seen it! It was such a blessing to my heart. All those times when Daniel called on the phone and I put it up to her ear and he would sing and talk to her made the reunion very special for Daniel because Sky knew who he was right away!

     As we all walked from his dorm over to the Navy Lodge where Sky and I would be staying for the next two nights, we kept getting stopped by group after group of fellow officers in Daniel's company who were dying to meet Skyler. I loved the look in Daniel's face as she showed her off. The look of pride and love I saw there is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. It was great to meet these people whom Daniel had talked about and know faces to go with names. But most of these officers that we met were of lower rank than Daniel (Daniel is a Lieutant, Jr. grade) and they had to salute him as they passed. It was very impressive. But as I kept looking over at him as we were walking, it kept hitting me that we are in the military. Very sobering. Once we got to the Lodge, Daniel and Skyler played together while he changed her diaper, etc. while I set up the room. After that, I had to go to the clinic to start a series of vaccination shots for the Japenese Yellow Fever. Daniel's parents arrived soon after that and we went out for dinner at the Officer's Club. It was right by the bay with a beautiful view of the bridge and the sunset. It was breezy out, but very nice. Sky discovered that she loved the feel of daddy's hair.


The next evening, there was an Officer's Banquet to celebrate the class of 09100's graduation. It was a fancy finger food affair. The highlight for Sky was the fountain - and daddy's hat!

                 
                  
    
       The next day was graduation. It was a beautiful sunny day, but VERY windy. So even though the sun was warm, the breeze - I SHOULD say wind - made it very chilly. So I had Sky bundled up. It was a short graduation, but impressive to watch and fun to try to find Daniel in the drills. He was very handsome in his "choker whites" for graduation. I am so proud of him.
                           



      Now, Daniel starts Chaplain school at Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC on Monday. I will get to not only see him on weekends, but I can stay in his room on base if I want to. The next 7 weeks of training should be much easier this way! Or at least more enjoyable.

       More to come!

1 comment:

  1. He looks dashing and you look perfectly proud! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete