Our life since February, when I returned to the States for Sky's birth, has been marked by MILES. It seems that we were always traveling somewhere, with someone to see and somewhere to be for something to do...but truth be told, as hard as it might have been to live out of a suitcase, those times were sweet reunions with precious friends and important goodbyes as our lives in Moscow came to a close and our new life is about to begin in Japan.
Yesterday I spent all day packing. Do you REALIZE how much stuff a baby needs?! And I tried to minimize! My goal is to take only what I can fit into a carry on and Sky's D-bag (I just think that sounds better, ok...cooler, than DIAPER bag). Of course, we'll only be gone four days, but STILL - that's a lot of baby stuff. Today, Sky and I jump into our faithful Honda and make the 2 and 1/2 hour drive to see my lovely sisters, Nancy and Carol in Columbia, SC. They're putting us up for the night because VERY early Wednesday morning, Sky and I get on a plane for Rhode Island for Daniel's Officer graduation. My sweet sister, Carol, is going to get us to the airport in time for our 6 am flight out. Sky has been very easy to travel with, especially on planes, so I'm excited about having that fun time with Sky. Daniel's parents are also driving over for the event and I'm very excited about seeing them again and spending some time with them.
Our adventure to the navy base in RI, isn't as simple as getting on a plane and meeting Daniel at baggage claim. He can't come to the airport to pick us up - he's not allowed off base. Instead, I have to take all of our baggage, find a certain shuttle service that will take me on a 45 minute drive (Sky's not too keen on long car rides) to a taxi service that will take me on a 15 minute drive to the base and drop me off at the hotel there that Sky and I are staying at. Daniel has written very specific instructions for me, so it should be pretty simple. Even though I'll get on base about 11 am, I won't see Daniel until around lunch time. He's busy with classes, etc.
Daniel and I have only been apart for 4 1/2 weeks. That might seem long to some, but I've been so busy with Sky, that the time has absolutly flown by. Where does the time go?? And while that's a blessing, sometimes I feel that it's a curse, too. I've asked myself if Daniel and I have had meaningful conversations beyond the necessary "business" of day to day life concerning finances, medical issues, car problems, etc. Are we making time to speak to each other's hearts and to continue building each other up as we're apart? I find that this is the first real hurdle that we're facing: growing together while we're apart. It takes concerted effort and we definitly have yet to learn this skill, because that's what it is - a SKILL! Something to consider and pray over.
The next pictures I post will be our first pictures as a military family! Stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I LOVE reading your blog, Sarah! Thanks for setting it up! Wow, military life, huh? That is different but you will do great nad it's awesome you have already had experience overseas. I am jealous !:)
ReplyDeleteSeems like you have also eased into parenting quite well - what a cutie and I also love the name!
If anything ever brings you to Wisconsin, please let us know and stop by. I still remember your visit many years back when Abby was little! Now she is 4 and a half and in school 1/2 days every day. Time does fly, yes! And Lauren will be 2 next month!
We think of and pray for you often. Keep close to God as you head off on this new adventure!
Much love, Kristy Sterken