After graduation, Daniel and I drove our overstuffed Honda and a Penske moving truck back to my parents in NC for an early Thanksgiving Day family celebration. Most of my immediate family members were able to attend and it was really great to have them there. It was an emotional day for me as I realized that this would be the last time I would see my family members for a long while. I thought it would be easier for me to leave, especially since I was so used to doing it every summer before we returned to Moscow for another year. But then I realized that I had been living with my family for close to a year - the longest I've stayed with my family since I left for college! But it was tough saying goodbye.
We packed up the Penske moving truck and headed out for Austin, TX, but with a detour through TN, to AR, to OK and finally on to Austin. It was a wonderuful time of reunion with various Hinkson people that we had close relationships with from our time in Moscow. Once in TX, Daniel and I unloaded the Penske into Daniel's parent's front room of their house. Thus began the long project of diving our stuff into four piles: a pile for the plane, a pile of Daniel's professional gear (aka, books), the expedited pile (stuff we would see in about three weeks) and the long term pile (stuff we wouldn't see until sometime in January). Although the room was piled high with boxes, Daniel and I realized how little we really had. In fact, I think almost all of our stuff would fit the weight limit for the expedited shipping pile! Unfortunatly, there was a miscommunication between Daniel and the moving people and we were not able to be there to oversee the packing of our worldly possessions. Our stuff won't be shipped until the 30th of November. We're very thankful for Daniel's parents who will oversee the packing process for us.
On November 18, Daniel's mom and dad dropped Daniel, Skyler, I, and our 9 bags, stroller, car seat, and 6 carry-ons off at the airport. We checked in with Alaskan Air, who kindley gave Daniel's parents passes to go all the way to the gate with us to say goodbye. The flight to Seattle, WA was only four hours. Skyler either played or slept. Upon arrival in Seattle, we had to go pick up our bags at the baggage claim area to recheck them in with the AMC (miliary) flight for the rest of the trip. Our layover at this airport was six hours. Although we took most of that time up with rechecking in, it was a still a tough wait as we were starting to feel the drag of exhaustion. Skyler either played or slept. We finally boarded the huge plane and three and a half hours later landed in Ancorage, Alaska for a two hour refuling/recatering/re-crewing stop. Skyler played. Finally we reboarded and slept most of the 8 hour flight to Yakota Air Base in Japan. Skyler either played or slept (she did a lot of sleeping on this flight). Thankfully, we had her car seat on this flight and we just pretty much kept her in it most of the time. It was great to be hands free a majority of the time on that flight. After a smooth flight, we de-planed and went to get our luggage. One bag was missing - the bag witth our coats in it and our toiletries (wouldn't you know it). It was in the 40's there, but it felt so good to Daniel and I as we stepped off the plane! We had Sky wrapped up in a blanket. Chaplain Metzger (the chaplain Daniel is relieving) met us there. The Navy had buses waiting to take us on the two and a half hour drive. Sky either slept or stared out the window. I slept off and on. Daniel talked with Chaplain Metzer the whole drive. There is so much for him to learn! Most of the drive was in city traffic. It was so strange to see drivers on the "wrong" seat of the car! And driving on the "wrong" side of the road! It will take some getting used to, for sure. Of course, they drive like that on base as well, so I'll be doing it myself soon!
When we arrived on base, we checked in at the Navy Lodge and then met Chaplain Metzger's wife for lunch - we were starving. There is a Chili's right next door to the lodge. Ahhhh. After lunch, Mrs. Metzger and I and Sky took the bus to the NEX (Navy Exchange) which was VERY well stocked. I was so impressed, and so thankful to see how well they are providing for the military over here. They had everything! We decided to go back to the hotel early and put Sky down about 7 pm. Daniel and I relaxed a bit by watching a movie before the melatonin we took hit hard. We were out.
Now as I write this to you on the following morning, Sky is taking a nap and Daniel is already out socializing with other chaplains at a breakfast. When he comes back, we decide what to do with the rest of our day and weekend (I hope we can go to Tokyo!). We won't know anything about our housing situation until Monday, so until then, we just need to try to get over jet lag and the 14 hour time difference - which so far, is going WELL. I mean, Sky is already taking her usual morning nap!
We are so thankful for your prayers, encouragement and support. More to come...

So glad you have arrived safely! Praying your body clock will re-set fast! i loved seeingyour fb pics of all the Hinkson folks! What a neat send off!
ReplyDeletepost on fb when you update your blog again! It will be neat to see your new location! Princess
Sarah you are in our prayers, so thankful you all made it there and that sweet Skyler is doing well! We will for sure miss you guys Thanksgiving but it was SO nice to see you at my shower!
ReplyDeleteLots of Love....
Tanner Crew