We were lived in the Navy Lodge for 12 days before we moved into our new apartment. If you know anything about getting a place on base upon arrival, you know that 12 days from arrival to moving in is next to impossible. Most people wait months, all that while living in the Navy Lodge (which is a hotel), before something opens up to move into. However, when they sat us down in our housing interview, we even had options! An apartment was open on the 9th floor, so we took it mainly because we were on the 9th floor in Moscow as well. Because we have little to no furniture right now, the government moved in loader furniture until the stuff we ordered came in. Our place is empty and you can still hear your voice echo in certain places, but it's home, and slowly, more and more each day, it feels a little more comfortable. But until our personal items arrive in January, it won't exactly feel like it's OURS. But the space is perfect for us and we're enjoying our new home. A video tour will be posted later next year once we get our personal affects moved it.
(The grocery store is a five minute walk, and since we don't have a car, I just push the groceries home in the shopping cart! A lot of people actually do this...)
Many of you may have heard of Skyler's spill when we were staying at the Navy Lodge. She fell backwards and hit the top of her head on the corner of the AC unit in the room. When I picked her up off of the floor and saw the huge, bleeding gash on her head, I almost lost it. I honestly thought I was holding Sky for the last moments of her life. I grabbed a towel to stop the bleeding and called 911. Sky was screaming bloody murder this whole time. I thought I did well on the phone - I remained calm and gave only the necessary facts. They were there shortly. Daniel was actually not there when it happened - he had just left for a run. Thank the Lord that just as the ambulance was pulling away, he ran around the corner. So, hot and sweaty he jumped in with us and we all went to the ER. At this time, Sky was quite calm and even falling asleep - it was time for her morning nap. She got five stitches and a hot pink bandage. We are so thankful that she is OK.
Daniel has officially taken over his new command from the previous chaplain, Barry Metzger, last Wednesday. His command is called Destroyer Squadron 15, or better know as DESRON 15. He's already been busy with counseling several sailors on a few of his ships, most of which are docked right now. This is a laid back time of year, so the ships are in and many of the sailors are on leave and are now at home, wherever that may be for them. The few that are left behind, are busy with duties and many are struggling with being here over the holidays. On Christmas Day, Daniel and I are going to take homemade chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate to the seven ships (on at a time, of course!) and wish them a Merry Christmas. We'll probably eat Christmas dinner on one of the ships as well. We heard they do a great job on the dinner for the sailors who have to stay and work on the ships over the holidays. We're excited about visiting these special sailors. And I have a lot of baking ahead of me!
Over the past few weeks, I've met many people: other men in Daniel's command and their wives and kids, people from the Chapel, people from the gym - but nothing is "sticking". I'm so used to being the Christian circles and making friends fast because of our common bond in JC (that's be Jesus Christ), that not making an significant friends up to this point (with the exception on Becky, Chaplain Metzger's wife), is very weird for me, and some days, just downright discouraging. But I realize that I'm in a whole new world and that I need time to adjust to many things and that above all, I need TIME. So, that's where I am right now. I'm enjoying this new adventure - just one day at a time.
Much love to you all. Keep praying for us!

No comments:
Post a Comment